• State Registered Occupational Therapist
• 0ver 20 year’s experience in Learning Disabilities in communities teams and managing Occupational Therapy teams in North West and Southern England
• Worked with people with mental illness, older people, hospice care and physical disabilities in hospital and community services.
• Teaching certificate
• Associate trainer for BILD delivering training for Learning Disabilities Award Framework
• Associate with Helen Sanderson Associates delivering Person Centred Thinking, Person Centred Reviews and Personal Budgets Training
Key experiences Key Achievements
• 2011 – 2015. UK lead and transfer expert for ‘New Paths to Inclusion’ a three year European project funded by the Leonardo Foundation which was successfully completed in September 2011. I delivered training and advised on person centred practice for organisations in 6 EU countries. I edited ‘Training and Practice in Person Centred Planning – A European Perspective’ and co-edited the on-line training pack. This was followed in 2013 by a second project to further develop inclusive practice and deliver training in further 6 countries and mentoring three large provider organisations to become inclusive person centred organisations in Austria, Germany and Luxembourg using the model of Theory U.
• 2015. Delivered training in person centred practices to support the pilot development Early Years Development programme in Slovakia to professionals working with families.
• 2014-2016 Work package lead in AEMA [adult education made accessible] to improve accessibility in adult education through the development of an on-line portal where organisations can measure their accessibility and set targets to improve and find experts to support them.
• 2008 and 2011.Delivered programmes in self-directed support as part of the governments ‘Personalisation’ agenda, including training and ‘planning live’ for local authority adult services and mental health services. Supporting people to write their own support plans and demonstrate how they will achieve person centred outcomes through their personal budget.
• 2007 – 10. Lead in the Eastern Region in ‘Person Centred Reviews in Transition’, a national DoH. Programme which was followed by the ‘Getting a Life’ programme to promote work opportunities for young people with learning disabilities using person centred practice.
• 2010 – 2013. Project lead in the development of person centred practice in India, funded jointly by Oxfam, Tesco and The HSA Foundation, delivered in partnership with Menter Fachwen Social Enterprise, Llanberis, Snowdonia which delivered person centred practice training to academics, social workers and service providers Kottayam, Kerala and Bangalore University and support for Menter Fachwen a day centre for women with Learning Disabilities. This work has led to the development of an initiative to make the town of Kottayam the first disability friendly town in India. The project completed in February 2013 with the establishment of the ‘Institute of Person centred Practice in India’ (IPCAI) which aims to develop sustainability and development of standards at a national level.
• Citizens advocate for 10 years
• Expert in person centred practices
• Expert in group facilitation using Theory U and embodiment practices to support organisations to commit to and make person centred change
• Skilled in systemic and psychodynamic approaches to support leadership, supervision and mentorship
• Listening to and supporting people with disabilities and their families
• Energising and inspiring individuals and teams
• Extensive knowledge of the complexity of the physical, neurological and psychological aspect of disabilities how this impacts on peoples lives and supporting them in daily living, developing skills, making choices and planning their lives.
Presentation of competencies
Attitude towards adult learners with disabilities
Expectations from adult learners with disabilities
Attitude of other learners
Adult learners with disabilities advocacy
Attitude towards accessibility laws and regulations
Managing physical access
Planning learning and assessment
Recognising prior learning and experience
Health and safety
Staff expertise on adult learners with disabilities
Continuing Professional Development
Communication with adult learners with disabilities
Informing on the learning provision
Informing on the accessibility of the learning provision
Promoting the learning provision
Sorry, there are no references for this user yet!